Monday, December 16, 2013

The Creative Habit, by Twyla Tharp

When looking to close at a piece of art work or putting to much thought into it, I run into a wall. By planning out my art projects, I leave little room for creatively and imagination. A general idea should be used lightly, then, as I progress with the work, I just see where my imagination takes me. In the reading,Twyla Tharp voices, "In order to be habitually creative, you have to know how to prepare to be creative, but good planning alone won't make your efforts successful; it is only after you let go of your plans that you can breathe life into your efforts". Another one of Twyla's points were the value of ritual. Everyone has their own rituals when working; locations, materials, sound etc. For me I need to work with headphones in and silence around me. I need to block out the work around me to be able to let my imagination flow. I like sitting by a window with little sunlight coming through; it gives me a calm feeling. The reading led me to realize that the way we work and the process up to working play a huge role in performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment