Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Art And Fear: Conceptual Worlds By David Bayles & Ted Orland

     In my personal opinion, a craft is something that takes a specific skill and a template to follow.
When I think of crafts I think of a flee market: wooden furniture, bracelets, stain glass, handmade clothing. When I think of art, I picture sculptures, paintings, photography, music, installation, performing arts, mixed media, etc. But like the article stated, there is a very thin line between art and craft because they are so similar. Like the fact: a rectangle can be a square but a square is not a rectangle, I see crafts as a form of art but art is not always a craft.
     We take on habits from people and things in our lives that influence us. When I wake up, I have the same routine every morning, because that is what I was taught to do. More particular habits, such as weekly rituals, are certain habits we form throughout time; if we stick to these habits to long, we get bored. In the article, the author talks about how sticking to the same habit means that you are familiar and comfortable with it. This leaves little room for exploration. Habits are a form of style because when an artist begins to work a certain way, with certain materials, more than once, it becomes their "style".
     I believe that you can tell a lot about a person from their art. In my mind art is more that just a drawing on a piece of paper, it is the persons style and taste. Seeing this, you can tell a lot about an artists character from their art.

No comments:

Post a Comment